Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WOW! Where have I been???

I have been a horrible blogger!  Apparently status updates in facebook have replaced writing longer blurbs in here and here we are ONE YEAR LATER!!!  WTF?  Anywho.....I had a read through my last post and realized that so much has happened/changed this year it is too much to cover! LOL!

In a nutshell....the family is moving to the US of A this summer because hubby accepted a transfer within his company.  This said, we've just finalized selling our house here (boohoo!) and are now actively looking for our new 'perfect' home.

I have stuck with Dr. Poon's plan (cheating more often recently...will explain in a moment) and although I was down to about 155lbs at my best last summer I've gained back about 10lbs since Christmas (bad bad girl)  I have no excuses....little cheats here and there plus almost no exercise due to the knee pain equals falling off the weight loss wagon.  I know what I have to do, and hopefully I'll be able to motivate myself back into the phase 1 discipline once again!

Which brings me to the knees!  WELL FINALLY after having a new type of x-ray done which shows my bones from waist to ankles it was determined that my leg bowing was more extreme than originally thought and basically the point of weight bearing which should be centred at your kneecap area on my right leg was out in space somewhere not near my leg at all!  Dr. Lee opted for something called a 'high tibial osteotomy' which is basically cutting my leg bone and repositioning stuff in there to bring the weight bearing point into the part of my knee which still has some cartilage left to cushion the joint....or something like that! 

After 2 1/2 days in hospital I was sent home in full leg cast....
 then a week later needed to get a new one because #1 was so loose from swelling coming down...
 another week later....new x-rays (a-ok so far) and another new cast because apparently now as well as swelling going down I am rapidly losing muscle mass from immobility...
 so here we are a month after surgery....still technically with a 'broken' leg so no weight bearing allowed, but I'm able to scratch and wiggle and moisturize my poor withered leg inside this brace!  It is called a 'range of motion' brace and I'm supposed to be able to bend my knee 90 degrees (eventually) but my knee is still so swollen that it feels like something will rip when I try to bend more than 30 degrees....sigh....but hopefully physiotherapy over the next month will fix that and then maybe in June I'll be allowed to start putting some weight on this leg!
The worst part of all of this is not being able to drive.  Honestly I am actually losing my mind from boredom.  I can't do anything around the house that can't be done without crutches or a walker frame (which is basically nothing).  Going for 'walks' is torture, not because I get tired, but my left hip and my wrists/hands from crutching around are killing me after about 10-15 minutes.  My hands are so bruised and my side at the bra strap is chaffed raw....perhaps I could go slower, but I have a need for speed LOL!  I've relieved some of the boredom with reading vast quantities of books and crocheting my brains out but I really want to just get mobile again!

Thank God I am fortunate enough that we can afford me not working through all of this!  I couldn't even imagine the stress of trying to recover quickly to get back to work...I suppose if I worked full time with benefits then disability pay would help but since I only worked part-time that isn't an option.  I've resigned my position obviously since it will be several more months recovery, plus we're moving in the summer so that's that.

Anyway, long story longer, I hope that when this leg is back to working again that I can start a work out program again and get back to eating properly.  My motivation is very low right now and I find it easier to quickly toast some bread than to cook my usual oven full of roasts or try and stand at the stove to cook my eggs....and building salads is a torture of back and forth to the fridge with ingredients.....but soon, soon!

2 comments:

  1. I would be seriously devastated if I couldn't run! A 10 pound gain and being immobile, that is not the worst predicament you could be in. In fact I'd say, that's pretty damned good! You know Phase 1 will take care of those extra pounds! Good luck to you in your full recovery. Keep us posted on the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Leigh! I am dusting off "the book" and re-dedicating myself to the program! I have tried some of your recipes (yum) and just find you so entertaining and full of the love of life that I want to succeed too! I'll probably not be able to run, but who knows? :-D

      Delete